Sunday, May 2, 2010

An Unplanned Surprise

As I mentioned before, this week we weren't feeling well. Dh only wanted soup for Shabbot, and I wanted a semi meal for the rest of us. Instead of defrosting some traditional chicken soup out of the freezer, I experimented with a combination of veggie chullent and soup, and it came out really amazing! Three out of the four kids ate it too (which is about as good as it gets here, I think the only things all four eat are pasta, cottage cheese & bananas. One doesn't even like hot dogs anymore!)

Veggie Chullent Soup (made in a 4 quart crock pot)

2 cups cooked barley & beans (my MIL had given me this frozen to make veggie soup with)
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped big (because yours truly doesn't like celery, so it needs to be big enough for me to avoid eating it by accident :x)
1 potato, diced (could have put in a second one)
your favorite kneidel (matzah ball) recipe

"Saute" onions in the crock pot with a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of sugar for about an hour. Stir once or twice and watch they don't burn.
Add the cooked grains & beans (I'm sure you could have put in the barely raw, but I had it already prepared so I didn't). Add chopped potato, celery & carrot and fill pot with water. Cook on high several hours. Prepare kneidel mixture and place in fridge.
About an hour before Shabbot (or serving on a regular day), for kneidal and add to the boiling soup. Wait for it to reboil again and then switch to low.

This came out really, really good and I will be doing it again sometime. Friday night we all had it as soup, and Shabbot lunch there was soup on the top and the bits on the bottom were yummy and chullently. There was about half a ladle leftover from the whole pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment